Volunteers are an invaluable part of our organization. Our volunteers assist us with socializing the pets at our shelter, assisting with fundraising events and assisting with adoptions. If you can’t financially afford to support a local rescue organization, volunteering your time is just as valuable.
We ask our volunteers to commit to a 2 hour time slot, one day a week, for a minimum of 3 months (ex: every Monday from 1pm-3pm as a dog socializers). One time volunteer opportunities are generally not available or are very limited, so if that is what you are seeking, please contact us to see if anything is available.
Have more questions about volunteering? Check out our FAQs!
Volunteer positions (contact our Volunteer Coordinator for availability):
- Dog Socializers: Play with and walk dogs staying at our shelter
- Cat Socializers: Play with adult cats staying at our shelter.
- Kitten Socializers: Play with kittens staying at our shelter.
- Adoption Assistants: Assist adoption counselor with basic office duties, as well as showing visitors the animals, and in slow times, helping with laundry and some minor cleaning.
- Adoption Event Assistants: Assist staff with adoption events held on or off-site throughout the year by handling available pets and/or speaking with potential adopters.
All Humane Society Fargo-Moorhead volunteers are asked to enroll in the RSVP+ North Dakota program. RSVP+ offers free liability insurance that covers volunteers in the event of an accident, whether the accident occurs during your volunteer time at the organization or on your travels to the organization to volunteer. Because this benefit is only available to volunteers through the RSVP+ program, we request that all volunteers be willing to enroll in the program at the time that they fill out the volunteer application, for their own benefit.
To become a volunteer, please stop in to the shelter to fill out a volunteer application or print and fill out the HSFM Adult Volunteer Application and bring it in. Prior to starting your volunteer shift, you will also be asked to fill out the RSVP+ enrollment form.
Due to a limited number of available time slots, we currently do not have any junior volunteer (ages 8-16) opportunities available. Please check back at a later date.
If you need to contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Julianne, for any reason, you can email her at email@example.com.